October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is celebrated around the world. This campaign has helped to reduce the stigma associated with breast cancer. It is a time when we celebrate the advances in research and treatment, rally to raise awareness and educate those about the disease and advocate for our family members and friends who are affected. To Life! hosts and participates in many community activities during the month of October. Visit our Calendar of Events or Facebook page to check out what's going on and how you can join in.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month also serves as a reminder to stay up-to-date on screenings and to assess and revise health habits. Living a healthy lifestyle can directly impact the chances of being diagnosed with cancer.
Join With To Life! - It's for a good cause.
This year we invite you to join in on one of our activities to have fun and raise much needed funds for the organization. Listed below are some of the events we currently have planned. Check back often as there will be more to come!
If you are interested in hosting your own event or fundraiser to raise much needed funds for our organization, contact us by calling 518-439-5975 or email Sue Abbuhl at firstname.lastname@example.org and she can help you with the logistics, details and promotion.
To Life! is featured on Spectrum News - click here to view.
To Life! Events and Activities
- Capital Region Pink Mile Challenge - a virtual 5k - a family friendly event. Medals will be awarded to teams and individuals in a variety of categories at the end of the event.
- Pink Ball - our fundraising event on October 21. All invited to attend. No fee to participate in the auction. Donate an item to the online silent auction, become a member of the Honorary Committee or simply make a donation to benefit the many services To Life! provides to local breast cancer survivors and thrivers.
- Bethlehem Goes Pink! To Life! and the Town of Bethlehem will decorate the downtown area with pink ribbons to visually reinforce the awareness message and to remind all of the support and other resources available in our community.
- Pink Ribbon Cards - local businesses can help bring awareness about breast cancer and the importance of early detection and screenings by selling Pink Ribbons Card. Interested in showing your support? Give us a call ~ 518-439-5975.
- Breast Health Workshop - bring awareness to your co-workers, colleagues, neighbors or friends about breast cancer. Schedule a virtual workshop today!
Interested in helping in other ways? Here are some creative ideas that you can initiate:
- Host a Facebook Fundraiser.
- More Impactful ideas on how you can help raise funds during October.
- Bring awareness. Wear a pink ribbon every day during October and remind people who ask that early detection saves lives.
- Host your own fundraising activity - organize a bake sale, paint and sell pink pumpkins, organize a walk/run, host a garage sale, consider making a craft to sell. The possibilities are endless!
- Donate an auction item to one of our fundraising events.
Knowledge is power. Here are some resources about screening and risk guidelines.
- Am I At Risk?
- Breast Health Assessment - Online/Interactive
- Breast Cancer Screening Guidelines
- Breast Cancer Risks
- New York State Breast Cancer Services
- New York State Department of Health Cancer Services Program
- Risk Factors and Prevention
- Where to Find Low- Cost or Free Mammograms
- October 21, 2022 is National Mammography Day - click here for more information